top of page

Family Sponsorship

What it means to sponsor someone :

When you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you’re sponsoring, and any of their dependent children.

Basic needs include:

  • food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living

  • dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services

Before signing the undertaking agreement, you should make sure that those you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll need to pay back what they received. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you have repaid the amount.

The undertaking is a binding promise of support, meaning that it is your responsibility to support the applicant(s) for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. For example, the undertaking won’t be cancelled even if:

  • the person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen

  • you become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down

  • you or the person you sponsor moves to another province or country

  • you have financial problems

The length of time you are legally responsible for the person you sponsor varies based on the type of family member you are sponsoring, and is either 3 or 10 years for non-residents of Quebec. Quebec has different undertaking length.


Who can become a sponsor?

You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • at least 18 years old

  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:

    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.

    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.

  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;

  • can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring that you meet the low-income cut-off - LICO.

Who you can sponsor?

To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

 You can sponsor:

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner

Adopted Children

Your own parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption

Certain relatives to immigrate to Canada under the Family Class

Book an appointment TODAY to speak to an Immigration professional to get answers to all your questions.

Family Sponsorship
bottom of page